The Arts in Vienna
Vienna is a unique blend of the historic and the modern. Its role, for centuries, as the seat of the Hapsburg Empire can be seen in the wealth of architecture and in its artistic and musical heritage. Many of the world’s most important composers, including Beethoven and Mozart, lived and performed behind Vienna’s Baroque façades.
In addition to this Baroque splendour, there are excellent examples of the Art Nouveau architecture that also flourished here. With a wealth of galleries to complete the picture, it is easy to see why Vienna is such a popular destination for lovers of the arts.
Day 1 - Depart on a morning flight to Vienna. On arrival, transfer by private coach to your hotel. A welcome drink is arranged prior to dinner.
Day 2 - Guided tour of the city by coach to see some of the main sites, followed by a visit to Belvedere Palace. Evening visit to the wine village of Grinzing for a traditional meal with gypsy music.
Day 3 - Morning tour of the Museum of Fine Arts. Free afternoon for individual sightseeing or alternatively an optional visit can be arranged. Return to the hotel for dinner.
Day 4 - Free morning for individual sightseeing or alternatively an optional visit can be arranged. Afternoon visit to the imposing Imperial Palace of Hofburg, for a tour of the lavish Imperial Apartments. Evening guided tour of the State Apartments in the Schönbrunn Palace, followed by a glass of champagne, 3-course dinner and a classical concert in the Orangerie.
Day 5 - Morning visit to the Leopold Museum. Free afternoon prior to the return flight to the UK. The above itinerary is flexible and can be changed to include any visits of particular interest to your group.
- 3 hour guided walking tour of Old Vienna. Sites such as Stefan’s Cathedral, the Winter Palace of the Habsburgs and the Lipizzaner stables including coffee and cake at Vienna’s famous coffee shop, the Café Demel.
- 2 hour walking tour of Old Vienna only (includes coach transfer from hotel).
- Visit to the Musikverein (Brahms Saal) to see the Vienna Boys Choir (available on selected dates only).
- Afternoon excursion to the Vienna Woods to include the underground lakes and caves of Hinterbruhl, onto Heiligenkreuz Monastery, Baden, an old Health Spa and Gumpoltskirchen village for a look at a large wine cellar followed by wine tasting before returning to central Vienna early evening.
- A morning visit to watch the training of Lipizzaner horses at the Spanish Riding School and visit to the museum.
- Classical evening concert at the Kursalon.
- Performance of the State or Volks Opera.
PRICES FOR OPTIONAL EXCURSIONS ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
This tour is based on 4 star hotels in a central location. If you wish to include either a higher or lower standard of accommodation within your itinerary than those shown on this page, we will be happy to provide you with a tailor-made tour quotation based on your request.
...please ask for more details
Flights are available daily from London Heathrow. Some indirect regional departures are also available. All flights and accommodation are subject to availability. For peak season dates we strongly recommend that you book early.